Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Mystery Angels

On Wednesday night, January 2, something surprising happened at the Harris house. Lara had taken the girls to youth group at church. I stayed home because I was sick so I laid on the couch and watched 'Law & Order'. Around 9:30 pm, our doorbell rang. At first, I thought it was the girls arriving back home. When they didn't come through the door, I got up to see who it was. Our front porch light was burned out so I couldn't see much of anything. Once my eyes adjusted to the dark, I could tell that no one was there. Weird. (I did hear the doorbell, right?) Then I got a little nervous. I was convinced someone was trying to lure me out of the house so they could jump me. I looked outside again and noticed three bags sitting on the front stoop. I slowly opened the door and looked around. "Hello?" All quiet. "Helllloooo"? Still nothing. I brought the bags into the house and noticed that there was one bag for each of our girls. I knew that because each of the three bags had one of our girls' name on them. (I'm smart that way.)

Anyway...each bag was filled with several gifts. I stepped outside again and said, "If you can hear me...thank you!" No answer. I closed the door but kept looking out the window. I eventually saw a car drive slowly in front of our house then roll to a stop. Then I saw two shadowy figures run from the side of our house and climb into the car. I couldn't determine the make of the car or who the individuals were, but I appreciated the way they cared for our daughters.

When the girls got home, I told them the story and presented them with the bags. They were blown away as they opened gifts from the mall -- makeup, lip gloss, a journal, stationary set, lotion, earrings, perfume, etc. Each of them also received a beautiful blouse from American Eagle. Emily had asked for a very specific blouse from AE for Christmas, but we weren't able to get it. The amazing thing is, the blouse that Emily received in her bag was THE EXACT BLOUSE SHE HAD ASKED FOR! Isn't that cool? She cried very happy tears.

The bags also came with one of the sweetest notes we've ever seen. It encouraged the girls by telling them that God shines brightly through their lives.

Our girls have often tried to figure out who would have done such a wonderful thing for them. We've told them that whoever it was apparently wanted to remain anonymous. To this day, we have absolutely no idea who it was. The girls have chosen to believe it may have been angels.

It is my sincere hope that those mystery angels will read this post and know how much they blessed our girls that night. Or that maybe someone who knows who was responsible will read this and pass along our thanks for loving our sweet girls. They'll never forget it.


No comments: