Thursday, April 10, 2008

13 Years in Heaven

This date always makes me a bit melancholy. Thirteen years ago today, my life changed dramatically when, at the age of 64, my dad traded this temporary 'tent' for his eternal home in heaven. I still miss him every day.

I've met a lot of people in my life who did not enjoy a good relationship with their earthly father. Thankfully, I've never been able to relate to that emotion because I had a very strong relationship with my dad (and my mom). That's not to say that we always saw eye to eye on everything or that I never gave him reason to worry. He was full of love for his family, common sense, country wisdom, laughter, a great provider, a wonderful example, gentle when appropriate, firm when necessary and always quick with a word of encouragement and support. I learned my greatest lessons about unconditional love from my dad. He wasn't perfect by any means, but he was a great man.

It's not overstating it to say he was one of the finest men I've ever known. In addition to being my parent, he was also a close friend. I was proud to have him stand with me as my best man at our wedding. I miss having him to consult when I have a big decision to make. I miss hearing him say, "I love you, son", at the close of every phone call. But I am most sorry that my girls are growing up with no memory of their "Pa Paw". I've assured them they will meet him one day in heaven and they'll have lots to talk about. My, how he loved his grandchildren.

I got my appreciation of country music from my dad. I remember riding around in his truck when I was a boy and listening to 8-track tapes of Don Williams, Merle Haggard and Johnny Cash. He would absolutely love the fact that we now live in Nashville.

Our twin girls were born roughly one month after dad went to heaven. The joy of their birth was tempered by the reality that he was missing from the celebration. At least I did get to tell him that we were having two more girls before he died. Although confined to a hospital bed and weak following a heart attack, he smiled when I told him.

They say time heals all wounds. I'm not sure about that one. At best, I think time helps you deal with that kind of loss, but I don't think you ever fully get over it....until heaven, that is.

I sure am looking forward to heaven.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Hey Rob,

Nice to see you back to blogging...and thanks for this post. I can totally relate, this past March 28 was already 5 years that my mom went "home".

I can't wait for Heaven either...

~Maria