Tuesday, May 20, 2008

2008 ACM's

As I watched the 2008 Academy of Country Music Awards on Sunday night, I have to admit that I was very disappointed. And I'm a BIG fan of country music. The night had its share of glitches.

For starters...the audio mix was HORRIBLE! I don't know who was mixing it for on-air, but they should have held a production meeting after the broadcast and fired them! During the live songs, you could barely hear the band. And poor 'ole Rodney Atkins sounded terrible. Can't lay that one on the bad mix....he just sounded flat throughout his entire medley. Maybe he was having trouble with his in-ear's.

Garth Brooks had a false start with his song. Reba's decision to join Brooks and Dunn for their song "Put a Girl In It" seemed impromptu. It came off that way, too. Even King George didn't sound that great.

A good friend of mine who works in the country music industry (and by the "industry", I mean "the business") once told me that the ACM's are extremely political. I believe it. Some of the awards were laughable and disappointing.

"Stay" got song of the year? Gimme a break. I mean...on one hand, I admire a song that breaks the traditional rules and becomes a radio hit with absolutely no drums on the track. Props to Sugarland for having a big hit with just an acoustic/vocal performance. That rarely happens. But does the Academy really expect us to believe that "Stay" was a better song than "Don't Blink" (Kenny Chesney) or "Moments" (Emerson Drive)? C'mon!! As a songwriter, I was extremely disappointed. It all seemed very political.

And Miranda Lambert put out the "Album of the Year"? Really? Seriously? Better than Brad Paisley's '5th Gear' and Rodney Atkins', "If You're Going Through Hell"? I'm not even a huge RA fan, but let's face it...his debut record has spawned 4 stinkin' # 1's!

The highlight of the evening for me was when Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood performed the Eddie Arnold classic, "Make the World Go Away". My only complaint was that it was too short. Here it is, in case you missed it.



I'm glad Carrie Underwood got Female Vocalist of the Year. Well-deserved. In the near future, I hope to see Mr. Paisley holding the trophy for Entertainer of the Year.

No comments: