Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Australia Day 4 - "It's Like a Drug..."

We helped with Sunday morning worship. We led two songs, then sang two songs. We shared, “My Savior, My God” and Tonja sang “It Wasn’t His Child”. It was a sweet time of fellowship and worship. Such authenticity among the people here. There were 29 people in attendance, which includes the eight of us. Phil began a Christmas sermon series with a message entitled, “The Signs of Christmas”. Afterwards, we all went to Macca’s (McDonald’s) for lunch.

At this point, we have literally met everyone member of the church and I can honestly say that I love them all.

I drove again today. So far, I have a spotless driving record in the land of OZ (what the natives call Australia).

Chipper, Ward and I went back to the church after lunch to load the Easy Worship software on the church computer. The church is using Windows XP, so the software loaded easily. They were thrilled to have the new technology. The worship team rehearsed from 4:30-6:30 pm and the service started at 7:00
pm. We did a “concert”, very similar to our “Encounter’s”. Several people from the church at Charles Town came to worship with us. Lara and Donna ran the Easy Worship software for the service. Afterwards, everyone just hung out at the church and visited with one another. Phil Eagling was so encouraged to see that. Pete, Thornton’s Worship Leader, commented, “This fellowship is so sweet. I don’t want to leave. It’s like a drug”.

We stayed at church for an hour after the service, then went back to Phil and Sharon’s for
Tea (the evening meal, which was much later than usual tonight due to the service). Lara and I stayed up and talked to Phil and Sharon for another hour. Christmas is a very special time for Phil. Their house is beautifully decorated for the season.

With the exception of a few homes that have exterior Christmas lights, folks here don’t seem to decorate the outside of their homes as much as Americans do. But then again, it may be a bit early for that.


James and Jon went to a local mall for their Starbuck’s fix. Kathy and Jon showed us the exotic birds he breeds. They were beautiful! Some were pale green, lavender, bright yellow,
orange, etc. John also used to breed reptiles. While I was there, Kathy showed me the funnel web spider they had fished out of their pool. Then she said, “There’s probably a red back (another dangerous spider) over here by the trash cans. Let’s see if we can find one.” Then she spots a web and begins poking around it with a stick! I felt like Marlon Perkins on the old show, "Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom". “I’ll stay over here out of the way while Jim irritates the deadly spider…”

God had mercy on me. We didn’t find one.

No comments: